Sunday, January 22, 2006


Lava Flow

This flow, on Mount Teide in Teneriffe, is more than 100 years old. Several different types of plants have established themselves from lichens to pine trees.
I was playing with Phtoshop and purely by chance managed to differentiate between the lichens and the lava. In the original picture both were grey and looked very similar. In this false colour image, the lichens and some other living material show in blue.

The lichen was coating the lava and there was a thick growth.

I took this picture as one of a series looking at backlighting on natural subjects. The bracken was glowing with golden light which has been lost in the editing. I suppose one day I'll learn enough about Photoshop to get it to do exactly what I want, but I'm not there yet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home